8.0 Privacy and Annoyance Management
OSCAR implements a couple of different methods for controlling and
ignoring annoying activities. Also, there a few features of OSCAR
that actually inhibit some of the information gathering discussed
in section 6.0 in the name of privacy.
One of these features is the ability to control who can talk to
you. These features mirror ICQ's "invisible" and "visible"
user list concept. Server-wise, it's the exact same thing, but the
clients handle it differently. You are free to implement this as
8.1 Changing Visibility
Change visiblity [Source: Client]
Here's what you use to change your visiblity to other users. The
concept is to remove/add users to a "permit" and "deny"
list, or "visible" and "invisible". When a user
is denied access to see us, we become offline to them entirely.
Screen name length (byte)
Equivalents to options in WinAIM:
* - Allow all users to contact me: Send a "permit deny"
request with only your name on it.
* - Allow only users on my Buddy List: Send a "permit add"
with the list the same as your buddy list
* - Allow only the uesrs below: Send a "permit add" with
everyone listed that you want to see you.
* - Block all users: Send a "permit add" with only yourself
in the list
* - Block the users below: Send a "deny add" with the
list of users to be blocked